Ahhh, welcome to the very last Week In Pictures of the year! Itâ€™s always a little bittersweet for me to say that, even after seven years of posting this column. This time of the year always feels a bit crazy between Christmas shopping, decorating, wrapping up work and plenty of parties. And, thereâ€™s been a lot of celebrating around here as well with family as my mom just turned 60 and my grandpa turned 88. Gotta love those milestones!
Onto some of the weekâ€™s highlightsâ€¦
1. Weird selfies. Iâ€™m not the best selfie taker and this set of photos was especially difficult because I was trying to show all of my hair. Haha. I kiiiind of forgot just how long it was. After a year of letting it fade to a more brownish tone thanks to some nasty allergic reactions, I finally found a natural dye that works. Back in black, finally!
2. Oh Christmas tree! I worked retail for a big chunk of my 20s and honestly, it kind of wrecked Christmas for me for a really long time. After decorating the store (I sold shoes) and dealing with difficult customers, the last thing I wanted to do was to go home and put up a tree. Now, I love coming home to a living room full of Christmas decor and a stack of presents under the tree. Our stockings are hung from the fireplace and yes, even Rocky and Chubs have one. 😉
3. Blue Star Donuts. Why didnâ€™t I try these sooner?! Portlanders, if youâ€™ve been waiting, give in. Now. For my momâ€™s birthday, we decided donuts were better than cake and these are hands-down the best Iâ€™ve EVER had.
4. Color play. I never had the chance to take color theory in college so Iâ€™m constantly playing around with combinations and learning as I go. Itâ€™s so much fun gathering objects around my office and piecing them together in different compositions.
5. Happy Birthday, grandpa! Can you believe heâ€™s 88? No glasses and no walker in sight. The key to Sharkeyâ€™s long life is chopping wood every dayâ€¦.in cowboy boots. Heâ€™s the sweetest guy and Iâ€™m so thankful that heâ€™s been in my life so long considering that he had an aneurysm 5 years ago. He celebrated his big day in the best possible way — a little drinking and a little gambling. 😉 Next week, Joey and I are joining him and my grandma at their cabin near Mt. Hood for Christmas. Always a highlight to the year end!
6. Quiet time equals reading. One of the things Iâ€™m looking forward to most during the break next week is having some time to go through the stacks of books in my office. I am especially excited to finally have a chance to flip through Coralie Bickford-Smithâ€™s book Penguin sent over â€” sheâ€™s best known for illustrating the hardcover classics series and has the coolest style.
7. Present wrapping time! I surprised my design assistant Samantha some goodies and had a great time wrapping them all up. Am I the only one that finds gift wrapping oddly therapeutic? Probably!
8.Holiday browsing. Iâ€™m always looking for a good excuse to visit one of my favorite Portland boutiques, Alder & Co. Right when you walk in, thereâ€™s a florist making custom arrangements and the staff is so welcoming. Iâ€™m always finding the most unique gifts for friends here.
Have a great holiday break, friends. I have a few posts lined up for next week and then Iâ€™ll be off until the new year. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!