After a very long Winter and Spring with months on end of hibernating indoors, I just returned from Miami last week, inspired to upgrade my beach necessities.
Iâ€™ve lined up some summer vacation plans covering Las Vegas, the Amalfi Coast, Milan, Marrakech and Palm Springs and with all that sun (and hopefully plenty of pool / beach time coming up), Iâ€™m thinking about some of the items that would be nice to have on-hand.
My Summer Must-Haves
1. Big, floppy hat. An absolute must to protect your face from too much direct sunlight. Plus, they look so glam paired with a simple swimsuit.
2. Basic black footwear. I always pack the wrong kinds of shoes for the beach which end up full of sand. Keep it simple with something that washes off easily! I also like my sandals to have a little extra height since Iâ€™m on the short side (5â€™3â€).
3. Eccentric pool float. These are so much fun! Iâ€™ve seen everything from pizza slices to donuts but especially love the added drama of this black swan. Might as well make an entrance to summer pool parties, right?!
4. Neon nails. Since I tend to pack mostly black and white basics, I love an extra pop of color on my nails. Neon Nacho (gotta love that name!) is my absolute favorite and I wear it all the time. Even better, the Floss Gloss line is free from the usual list of toxins found in a lot of mainstream brands.
5. Fun swimsuit. Iâ€™ve always stuck with basic black when it comes to swimwear but when Victoriaâ€™s Secret put all their styles on mega-sale, I had to jump on this color blocked design! Ignore the dramatic poses in their photos (haha) because their swimwear fits like a DREAM and I love that you can buy the tops and bottoms separately.
6. Statement sunglasses. I tend to rotate the same basic styles of sunglasses but Iâ€™m craving something a little more fun. Cool accessories can go a long way and Iâ€™m loving these Quay sunglasses because they are right on trend in a marbleized pattern but donâ€™t break the bank.
7. Dry shampoo. When traveling and hanging by the pool / beach, your hair can get oily when youâ€™re outside having fun all day. I pack dry shampoo so Iâ€™m not constantly washing it and stripping it of its natural oils and No Drought by LUSH is fantastic with a clean, citrusy scent.
8. Copper pineapple. When Gala and I were in Miami last week, our favorite bar served drinks in these and I was immediately smitten. The pineapple opens to hold your drink of choice and once youâ€™ve closed it, thereâ€™s a a spot for your straw. It takes any drink to the next level â€” and I want one badly!
9. Unique beach towel. Towels were always an afterthought to me but then I found this grid version on sale at Urban Outfitters and loved how it worked as a great backdrop in photos, not to mention it was more comfortable to lay on than the standard issues at hotels. Worth it!
Your turn: What are your summer necessities? What sunscreen do you swear by? Whatâ€™s your go-to brand for sunglasses and swimwear? Let me know in the comments!