For as many times as I’d been to LA, I’d never stepped foot inside Bottega Louie until last week. Don’t make the mistake of waiting as long as I did — it completely lived up to the hype.
Probably best known for its selection of rainbow-hued macarons (that every blogger who passes through painstakingly documents), there’s much more lurking inside the walls of Bottega Louie including a full restaurant, bar and gourmet market stocked with everything from canisters of hot cocoa to extravagant gift boxes.
The place has an old world glamour to it but completely lacks the stuffiness one would expect. The staff were extremely gracious, letting us snap as many photos as we liked and even cracking smiles at our mini dessert still life, complete with heart-shaped glasses.
I tried my best to absorb the atmosphere around me but truthfully, the scale of the place (absolutely massive) coupled with the ornate packaging and crowds of people just as obsessed with the attention to detail as I was made it hard to really capture it all. It’s classic French glamour completely modernized and that’s a hard one to nail.
I’ve only had macarons a few times before so I figured it was a good time to dive into as many flavors as possible and see what all the fuss was about. I walked out with a box all to myself and spent the next few days indulging in a few for breakfast. And yes, they were absolutely delicious.
Bottega Louie oozes charm, charisma and beauty. And, in my experience, everything tastes as good as it looks. Need I say more? Get thee a box of macarons, stat.
Featured: Bottega Louie.
Photos: Shauna Haider.
Over the last few years, I’ve gotten more adventurous with color and set the intention of working more of it into my overall wardrobe. But even with a closet bursting with color, I still have those moments where only black will do. And, I’m definitely having one of those moments right about now.
When it comes to rocking head-to-toe black, my teenage goth roots still ring true but I’ve never been a fan of frills, heavy lace or anything that’s overly tattered. I’m much more of a fan of the sleek and avant garde.
One of my favorite wardrobe treasures is this Rick Owens jacket. Found five years on Ebay for a total steal, it is my dream cyborg wardrobe staple come to life. It’s weird yet wearable and takes even the most straightforward basics from casual to spaceship chic. And that’s what I love about clothing the most — it has the ability to transform us into characters, even if those characters are just slightly more dressed up, more confident versions of ourselves.
On the subject of black, I’ve been drawn to the idea of different finishes as of late, especially when they’re mixed together like on my jacket. I’m especially loving matte black:
Shown above: 1. FCTRY Kudu, 2. Kartell Sofia Boots, 3. Chanel Black Velvet Polish, 4. Larke Optics Glasses, 5. Tangiers Pendant Light, 6. Nixon Time Teller P Watch, 7. Bodum Bistro Blender, 8. Eames Chair and 9. Microbomata Laptop Bag.
I wore: Jacket, Rick Ownens via Ebay. Silk dress, vintage. Tights, found in Iceland. Boots, Proenza Schouler.
All creatives need some solid gadgets and tech accessories in their arsenal but it’s always an added bonus when they’re well-designed. I’m especially loving the old school stylings of the Fuji Instax and the Lomo smartphone film scanner! How about you?
1. Fuji Instax Mini 90 Classic Camera, 2. Megaphone iPhone Amplifier, 3. Nooka Mirror Watch, 4. FRENDS Taylor Headphones, 5. Crosley Floral Record Player, 6. Block Dock, 7. AirPort Time Capsule, 8. Venus of Cupertino, 9. Pentax Q7 Camera, 10. Lomography Smartphone Film Scanner, 11. Dracula iPhone Dock and 12. Rock Out USB Key.
This wish list is dedicated to the creatives in your life who enjoy a well-designed dose of beauty! Fancy hand cream, beautifully packaged nail polish and an intriguing fragrance can go a long way, especially when it comes to stocking stuffers.
1. Nana De Bary Perfume, 2. Make Post Impression Palette, 3. Kre-at Beauty Lash Cluster, 4. Topshop Lipstick, 5. Hay Mirror Mirror, 6. Beautyblender, 7. NARS Makeup Removing Water, 8. Lipstick Queen Look of Love Set, 9. RGB White Polish, 10. Blend Collective Unwinding Candle, 11. Rodin Olio Lusso, 12. Fornasetti Bocca Tray, 13. Pantone Palette, 14. Balenciaga Florabotanica Perfume and 15. Marvis Toothpaste.
This wish list is dedicated to that design minimalist in your life that’s obsessed with black, white and of course, great typography. But let’s be totally honest here — this is basically my dream shopping list so it wasn’t very difficult to gather up 18 swoon-worthy items!
1. Braun Alarm Clock, 2. Ghost Chair, 3. Imogene + Willie Candle, 4. Stedig 2014 Calendar, 5. Glass Dome, 6. Pantone iPhone 5 Case, 7. Eames House Bird, 8. Pattern Society Rug, 9. Sebastian Bergne Ring Calendar, 10. Ivory + Mason Glasses, 11. George Nelson Asterisk Clock, 12. House Industries for Heath Ceramics Numbers, 13. BKR Heart Water Bottle, 14. House Industries Flour Sack Towel, 15. Crushed Bowl, 16. Vitra Toolbox, 17. Hay Tower Block and 18. Binchotan Toothbrushes.
Creatives can be a hard bunch to shop for. Notoriously picky and detail-oriented, they are a difficult group to please! Over the next two weeks, I’ve put together a series of four gift guides that will hopefully alleviate some of your shopping stress. First up: a collection of twelve items that are perfect for that friend who is style-savvy, strives to keep an orderly desk and welcomes a pop of color.
1. Kaleido Trays, 2. Eames Side Chair, 3. Graphic Notebook, 4. Le Mouton Noir & Co. Mug, 5. Nesting Boxes, 6. Echo Flash Drives, 7. Silk Pantone Pillow, 8. Uten.Silo Small, 9. Cosmos 4-Port Travel Charger, 10. Pantone Espresso Maker, 11. Nelson Ball Clock and 12. CMYK Necklace.
I’m a little late posting today but hopefully you can still make the deadlines for some of these amazing design-related sales! So much good stuff at deep discounts:
• In need of business cards, stickers or postcards? Moo is offering 25% off their printed products including the awesome Luxe line!
• Fab is offering 30% off site wide and is the perfect one-stop-shop for those art and design lovers in your life.
• Spruce up your desk with new supplies from Poppin. Use the code CYBER30 to save 30% off any orders of 60 dollars or more.
• Overnight Prints is running their biggest sale of the year. Get in that order of promotional postcards quick!
• You Work For Them has hundreds of fonts on sale!
• Theme Trust is offering 30% off all of their WordPress themes. Just enter the code CYBER at checkout.