The quickest way to grow your blog doesn’t hinge on implementing the latest SEO techniques or posting a lot of pretty images. If you want an audience that’s engaged and keeps coming back for more, create genuinely helpful content.
If you poke around the internet, you’ll notice that a majority of the most popular blogs are heavy on content that teaches you something. Whether it’s how to live a better life, how to tie a scarf or how to whip up something new in the kitchen, people are always searching for opportunities to learn something new, even if itâ€™s ridiculously simple.
Think about it this way. When you sit down to google something, would you key in:
Popular lipstick shades or how to pick flattering lipstick shades?
Graphic design portfolio or how to build a print portfolio?
Cute hairstyles or how to style short hair?
Chunky sweater styles or how to style chunky sweaters?
Audiences want applicable advice that is helpful and benefits their lives in some way. The concept of being helpful can feel a bit daunting at first. After all, not all of us are gourmet chefs, DIY masterminds or decorating geniuses. But, it doesn’t have to be that complicated. When it comes to being helpful, we each have a unique set of talents and life experiences. We just tend to assume that everyone else knows how to do what we do. You’d be surprised at how popular some of your tried and true skills can be when turned into a series of blog posts.
To be genuinely helpful, the key is to think of little ways to add a twist to what you already enjoy doing.
Here are some ideas to get you going:
1. Bake your way through a stash of favorite family recipes and photograph the results.
2. Review the books that have had the biggest impact on your life.
3. Break down your favorite makeup and skincare routines along with the products you recommend and why.
4. Document before and after shots of your home renovations with how-to guides.
5. Are you a green thumb? Create guides around what grows best in which climates.
6. Tour your city’s food carts and let us know your top picks!
7. If movies are your passion, create guides of must-see films broken up by genre.
8. Did you bypass college and follow a self-taught path to the career of your dreams? Tell us how you did it!
9. Share styling tips on how to get creative with a very limited wardrobe.
10. If you’re a master at smoothies, create a series around your favorite recipes.
11. Do you have a knack for hairstyles? Let us know the best ones for long, short, updos and more!
12. Create a series of helpful email templates related to your industry.
13. Share your tried-and-true social media tips and tricks for each platform.
14. Develop a series of paint swatch combos for the color challenged.
15. If organizing is your thing, share before and after shots alongside your sources for supplies.
16. Do you have a talent for modifying the mundane? Share your best IKEA hacks!
17. Are you a web designer? Let us know your favorite web font combos.
18. If you’re a thrifting champ, create guides for cities you’ve visited.
19. Is bartending your specialty? Share recipes and photograph your best drink concoctions!
20. Review your favorite restaurants in town and come up with your own rating system.
21. If you’re a shoe obsessive, create guides for the best shoes from working out to going out.
22. Is traveling your passion? Create guides for each locale you visit including transportation, dining and hotels!
23. Create a series of style posts centered around a favorite wardrobe staple.
24. Do you have a specific way of shooting and processing your photos? Show us how you do it.
25. Have you mastered how to clean your house without using harsh chemicals? Teach us your tricks!
26. If you’re a creative that’s burnt out on “pinspiration” posts, inspire us through real life mood boards.
27. Run your own business? Create an advice column centered around what you’ve learned.
28. Have you pulled off a career change into a completely different industry? Break down how you did it!
29. Are you a fitness junkie? Share routines for busy, on-the-go types.
30. Is event planning your passion? Teach us how to make gatherings and parties run more smoothly.
When it comes to building an engaged audience, be genuine, be helpful and share what you know.
Your turn: What are some recent helpful posts you did that were a big hit?
Image: Alexa Loy Photography.