Ah, March. The month that got away. The first three months of 2017 felt dark and foggy, partly because of the depressing political climate and partly because we had what felt like the longest Winter ever here in Portland. It was also the busiest month Iâ€™ve ever had in nearly 4 years of running Branch (cue 3 client website launches on top of wrapping up about 10 other projects). I just had to put my head down and throw all my energy into getting the work done.
Now that Iâ€™m on the other side, Iâ€™m taking a deep breath and getting reacquainted with all the things I love to do â€” exploring my city, reading magazines, catching up with friends, snapping photos, taking the time to do my makeup and indulging in the occasional face mask (love this one!).
There was so much packed into March but a few special moments stand out:
1. Re-signing my office lease! Itâ€™s no secret that I love my studio â€” getting a space outside of my house a few years ago completely transformed my business for the better. Before that, I turned on Dr. Phil at 3 pm every day. I slacked off and got distracted. I never got ready for the day (and when itâ€™s 3 pm and you realize you havenâ€™t washed your face or brushed your teeth, thatâ€™s not good!)
2. A much needed Palm Springs vacation. Joey and I are both in need of a sun and palm tree filled vacation. In preparation, Iâ€™ve been picking up a few non-black colored items so I donâ€™t look like a goth in the desert. Haha!
3. A backyard tiki bar! This is still in-progress but Joey has turned our former backyard gazebo into a fully functional tiki bar complete with a mini fountain, light-up bar, surfboard, vintage tiki mugs and so much more. Itâ€™s going to be my favorite Summer hangout!
4. Paying taxes on time. One thing I didnâ€™t realize when I switched my business over to a corporation was that taxes are due a full month earlier! I sat down, got it over with and feel so much lighter having it out of the way. There are good and bad parts about running a business and though I hate getting bogged down in financial details (nothing drains my creativity faster!) itâ€™s important to have an understanding of the numbers.
5. Personal style tune-ups. Iâ€™m really into fishnet layers right now â€” these long-sleeve tops are great. Iâ€™m also into adding in subtle dashes of color to my mostly black wardrobe with burgundy velvet boots. And, I love the sleek look of bodysuits including this, this and this.
And with that, Iâ€™m so glad itâ€™s April! Letâ€™s dig into some linksâ€¦
â€¢Â Small Victories takes files in a Dropbox folder and turns them into a website, no coding needed. Yes, really!
â€¢Â Jennyâ€™s Print Shop has a great selection of beautiful, affordable art and suggestions on where to print for cheap. I especially love That Pink Door and Flora.
â€¢Â In case you were wondering, hereâ€™s how to open a new book.
â€¢ Finance tips I wish Iâ€™d known when I was 20. Timeless advice.
â€¢Â Iâ€™m a big fan of Dwell Magazine. Did you know that they have a new line of home products at Target? YES!!!
â€¢Â I love this new series of personal essays about body image.
â€¢ Is it really so bad to be wrong sometimes?
â€¢Â Toast, the easiest breakfast ever, just needs a few toppings to be awesome.
â€¢Â Nothing drives me crazier than checking my email in the morning and finding my inbox packed with mailing lists I never subscribed to. Unroll.me is such a time saver.
â€¢Â A recreation of the bedroom from 2001: A Space Odyssey!
â€¢ This side-by-side example is proof of how different from reality Instagram can be.
â€¢Â You can make excusesâ€¦or you can make progress.
â€¢Â A look at the worldâ€™s coolest passports.
â€¢Â Hahaha! Behold the hilariousness of Trumpâ€™s Ties.
â€¢Â Break free from being a people pleaser.
â€¢Â This is the most brilliant freelance copywriter website Iâ€™ve seen.
â€¢ Amanda left her stable corporate job to follow her passion.
â€¢ If modern design is your jam, follow designmilkeveryday on Instagram.
â€¢Â To attract dream clients, you have to be clear about who you are and what youâ€™re offering.
â€¢ An inside look at how Hillary Clintonâ€™s campaign identity came about.
â€¢Â This easy tip can save some money on your next takeout order.
â€¢Â The challenge of opening up and being vulnerable is worth it.
Photos: 1. my new golden orb from Target. 2. Cosube Surf, a new surf + coffee shop. 3. Spartan Shop, a boutique I love. 4. A desk still life complete with this CB2 leaf.