This year has been a weird one, huh? As November winds down, I’m usually wrapping up most of my projects for the year but lately, things have been speeding up. I have a few Black Friday deadlines including a 400 page book (!!!) due this week and then, it’s time for a quiet Thanksgiving at home with a big order of Thai food. Here are a few things I’m super excited about right now:
1. Palm Trees and Christmas Vacation: For the first time in my life, I’m considering skipping holiday gatherings and leaving town for a getaway with Joey in Palm Springs. No decor, no cleanup, minimal gift shopping and a few cozy nights in a rented mid-century pad? Sounds like heaven to me. After turning 35 earlier this year, I’m ready to break with the usual traditions and make my own.
2.Goodies from The Line: I desperately need photos for the new Branch site I’m designing and picked up some props from The Line. If you’re new to what they do, they set up their stores like actual living areas but everything inside is for sale. The Hay selection is especially good.
3. The Toffee Club: I kept hearing about a new-ish bar in Portland called The Toffee Club. It’s an English football pub….with a wall of House Of Hackney Palmeral wallpaper. My dad and I checked it out and the staff is amazing, that wallpaper is ace and one drink turned into a two hour hangout. Highly recommended!
4. Spotify Weekly Playlists: I always have Spotify playing in the office and one of the features I especially love are the Discover Weekly playlists they put together based on your musical tastes. It’s automatically done for you once a week! I’ve discovered so many cool artists along the way. When you open Spotify on your desktop, click Browse, then click the Discover tab and your list is waiting for you.
5.The Warhol Exhibit: If you have a chance to go to the Portland Art Museum to view the Andy Warhol exhibit before it closes in January, make it happen. A week later, I’m still thinking about it and feeling the buzz of inspiration. I’ve seen his work at museums before but this is the best by far. I have a full post of photos coming up next week if you can’t make it in person!
• Career advice: be unapologetic in what you want.
• 17 amazing movie scenes that were actually improvised!
• 5 ways to get over your fear of failure.
• Having a small dose of loneliness in your life can actually be beneficial.
• I’m not into the traditional green and red of most Christmas decor so this white and gold winter wreath DIY is right my alley.
• This set of emojis made from Old Masters paintings is the best.
• I’m looking forward to checking out Erin’s new book, Chasing Slow. It’s beautifully designed (of course) but also, her writing always feels warm and relatable.
• This Japanese calendar is beautiful!
• Photographer Chris Porsz has been taking candid shots of people in an English city since the 1970s and recently recreated the photos they’d taken decades before. So cool!
• The extreme global weirding continues. Scary stuff.
• During Obama’s 8 years in office, photographer Pete Souza has snapped nearly 2 million photos of him. These are his 55 favorites.
• The 4 secrets to healthy team building.
• Post-election, this makeshift grief wall covered in an array of handwritten sticky notes has gone up in a New York City subway.
• This is the best mannequin challenge I’ve seen yet!