It’s really starting to feel like Fall around here big time — I’m working from home today and am already noticing how much darker it seems at 6 pm than usual. The list format was a lot of fun last week so I’m going to give it a try again because there’s a lot to share.
1. Be thankful for what you have right in this moment: I briefly mentioned this earlier in the week but my cousin Matt had an aneurysm and is in the hospital right now. It’s been a stressful few days as I wait to hear how his surgery came out. Matt has never had an easy life but is a really good guy — he takes care of my grandparents so I know they’re feeling a bit lost right now. Please think good thoughts for him. This is a reminder that as long as you have your health, you’re doing good. Anything else is just a bonus.
2. My favorite Fall drink: I love my local coffee shop, Speedboat. They’re some of the nicest baristas in town and are always coming up with not-on-the-menu concoctions. Chai is often my go-to drink but a lot of the local brands are super potent to the point of tasting like a mouthful of perfume. They came up with a mix of chai, a dash of vanilla syrup and extra foamed milk that’s absolute perfection. Give it a try!
3. Palm Springs dreams: Over the last 6 months, I worked with a singular goal in mind: getting pre-approved for a place to call home in Palm Springs. Joey and I didn’t find what we were looking for last time (both places weren’t quite right in the end) so we continued our search and are heading back down soon to check out some more. I know that things like this unfold how they’re supposed to and if it’s right this time, we’ll finally find the right fit. Either way, we’re not giving up.
4. Good friends don’t have to live nearby: This week, I FINALLY met the ever-elusive Paul Jarvis! Yes, he’s real. We’ve literally been running a business together for an entire year (The Project Prescription) yet this was our first meeting in-person. Paul, along with his awesome wife Lisa joined us for dinner and Joey whipped up his best vegan lasagna while Chubs chomped down on a leftover piece of garlic bread. Paul knows about my photo booth obsession and I wasn’t going to let the moment get away undocumented!
5. Making a house feel like home: For the last two years, I felt a big disconnect from my home because I spent most of my time time at work. When I was here, things never felt finished. Joey and I made a commitment this Summer to start pulling it together, room by room. It’s amazing what a few small changes can make and it’s totally possible on a budget — I found Mandi’s post about redecorating really inspiring and I’m working on some content around befores and afters to share with you, too.
6. Major skincare excitement: I’ve been wanting to try Glossier products for what feels like forever so when my designer Sam surprised me with the new set of Supers, I was over the moon. The branding is fantastic, the formulations are unique and I’m excited to crack them open tonight!
Okay, it’s your turn!
What’s on your mind this week?
• Philip Glass has so much goodness to share on the topic of being an artist, controlling your work and getting paid for it.
• I love this post about steering clear of adopting a client’s anxiety.
• OMG, this cat is supposedly the biggest in New York!
• Designers, need some Halloween costume ideas? Here you go!
• 10 ways to find logo design inspiration.
• Who knew that Bill Clinton has a talent for baking cookies?!
• I eat popcorn all the time as a snack and didn’t realize it’s possible to DIY the microwave version!
• As the U.S. presidential election gets closer, I’m definitely feeling more stressed out but thankfully, SNL came to the rescue with the best parody I’ve seen featuring Alec Baldwin. Nailed it!
• Dinner party conversations don’t have to be awkward.
• Whatever you crave, one thing is certain: taking action gets you everywhere. Go Get It! keeps you accountable as you work towards achieving a singular goal.
• Braid Creative has tips on how to write your About page.
• Andy Warhol’s illustrated children’s book was never released during his lifetime but is finally making its debut!
• I LOVE this chart about judging who someone is. #truth
• Check out the 39 greatest free web fonts!
• British swear words ranked in order of offensiveness made me laugh — spending so much time with my BFF Kat rubbed off and I now use “wanker” alllll the time.
• There are just 13 apartments left inside New York City libraries and there’s a fascinating history behind them.
• Totally random: the coolest sneakers in movies.