I’m sitting at JFK, getting ready for the long flight back to Portland after a whirlwind few weeks away. Even though this had been the busiest summer I’ve ever had with work, I knew I needed to take a real break to avoid major burnout and took two weeks off to travel and enjoy life. It’s been awesome.
After a week in Italy, Kat, Gala and I flew to Marrakech for an extended stay at Dar Jaguar, a riad tucked away down a winding path in the medina. Between camel rides, hanging with locals, hiking 1,500 feet up a mountain to a waterfall, learning how to belly dance and stuffing my suitcase full of magical handmade treasures, it really forced me out of my comfort zone. The trip was fun, challenging, eye-opening and inspiring all at once…a combination which I think the best vacations usually have.
During the Summer of 2013 before I quit my full-time job, I remember sitting in a dark office, watching the sun set every night and feeling an internal tug — a tug that I needed to get out and explore more. I wasn’t sure how to make it happen but I felt like I was missing out on the world going by beyond those four walls.
Then, the ultimate irony set in — once I was running my own business, I was afraid to take a chunk of time off. What if the work never picked back up? Every trip I took up until this one looked fine from the outside but the reality was that I had a lot of work crammed into the in-between moments. Unplugging felt impossible.
Getting away for two weeks for real has reminded me of what we all know but sometimes ignore at our own expense — life is for living and no matter what we have going on, taking time out to recharge and get re-inspired is necessary. Before you can take care of anyone else, you have to remember to take care of yourself and respect your limits.
Even though this time away has been much needed, I’m excited to have a few months at home as soon as my flight lands tonight and finally catch up on some of the content I’ve been wanting to share with you.
More soon! xo
• 19 incredibly useful websites you wish you’d knew of sooner.
• The Oscar for the Best Supporting Weirdo goes to….
• 10 times delivery guys made you wish you’d picked up your package yourself. Ha!
• Find out what the most recognized and trustworthy fonts are!
• Introvert hangovers are a real thing.
• I love this idea! Picture This makes it possible for kids to design their own clothes.
• I’m excited to see a new money management category over on the RowanMade blog. This is something people don’t like to openly talk about but it’s so important to set realistic goals.
• This adorable elderly couple matches their outfits every day!
• I love this advice on getting started in a creative career.