I hope you had a good week! Itâ€™s Friday night and all the things I want to chat with you about are buzzing in my head but I donâ€™t know where to start. Letâ€™s switch things up and do this in list form for a change:
1.Best outing of the week: I know very little about jazz but when my friend Alex invited me out to see her brother Ben play, I said yes. Little did I know that heâ€™s a Grammy nominated musical genius. I sat inside a church in Downtown Portland while sipping a hard cider and watching his jazz band play with such precision that itâ€™s given me a whole new appreciation for the genre. Search for Ben Wendel on Spotify, heâ€™s seriously epic.
2. Best reason to celebrate this week: Branch turned 3 years old! I had no time to even process it because the workload over here has been completely insane and with growth comes growing pains. No matter what happens as my business evolves, Iâ€™m thankful to have a career that allows me the room to be creative every day. Walking out of my full-time job 3 years ago was gut-wrenching but Iâ€™m glad I did it â€” you only have one life and the sooner you can live it in a way that makes you happy, the better.
3. Guilty pleasure of the week: watching my childhood idol, Vanilla Ice KILL IT BIG TIME on Dancing With The Stars! Iâ€™ve loved him since I was 7 years old and when I finally met him as a teenager, he was the nicest guy ever. I just remembered that I have his autograph buried somewhere in my basementâ€¦.maybe itâ€™s time for an archaeological dig through the ruins of my past? Haha. P.S. Drop that zero and get with the hero.
4. Best archiving of memories this week: A lot of the photo booths I used to frequent have been replaced by lame digital versions so when I find an authentic one, I make as much use of it as possible! My friend Pam and visited the one at The Liquor Store and had waaaaaay too much fun (see below).
5. Most fun designing this week: Iâ€™m working on a handful of personal projects that are really starting to take shape, especially The Art Of V. I’ve been experimenting with graphics and having weekly Skype catch-ups with my partner in crime, Erika. Sheâ€™s managed to pull hilarious stories out of me that Iâ€™d long forgotten about and we share all the juicy details every week in our newsletter.
6. Boring but necessary moment of the week: Our front yard has always been a pit of despair but our house needed so much work when we bought it 7 years ago that the yard was the least of my concerns. Paint, new windows, new bathroomsâ€¦everything felt more pressing. The grass looked terrible, the slope was uneven and honestly, I barely looked at it when I came home. Joey has been landscaping it before the weather turns rainy and in the process, planted a big palm tree and laid river rock. Next comes a bunch of exotic plants and grasses. Itâ€™s looking very Palm Springsâ€¦and not very Portland. But, you know how we roll. 😉
Well, that was fun!
Now, itâ€™s your turn.
Whatâ€™s new with you?
What are you excited about?
â€¢Â Speed up your email process big time.
â€¢Â In the future, these 5 design jobs supposedly wonâ€™t exist.
â€¢Â Tipping is an art that can be hard to master but Eater makes it easy with a simple FAQ for food deliveries.
â€¢Â 5 foreign sayings that just donâ€™t translate.
â€¢Â 101 small ways you can improve your city.
â€¢Â If you want to be a professional writer, read this post.
â€¢Â Best dad ever: this guy took his son to Paris Fashion Week and wrote about the experience.
â€¢Â A beginnerâ€™s guide to meditation knows that your brain is going to go nuts, but thatâ€™s fine!
â€¢Â Digging the simple design of this Listen poster.
â€¢Â Type nerds, test your knowledge with Know Your Font!
â€¢Â The New York Public Library installed tiny trains to deliver books!
â€¢Â Embrace everything, both the good and the bad.