Happy Friday, friends!
After a very long week of getting over the last bit of a cold, I’m taking it easy and working from home today. It’s nice to have a change of scenery from the office and to get some quality time in with my cute little creatures, Rocky and Chubs.
Today is also the day the new issue of Rock n Roll Bride Magazine goes off to print and I’m so happy with how this one came together. We’ve got a nice little routine down now and after a bunch of experimentation, the content and design feel really in synch.
It’s been a year since Branch took over the design of the magazine and though I’d designed a few smaller issues years before, managing the role of designing a real life glossy magazine that was going to be on newsstands next to the biggest titles out there scared me to death. And then some. Where do you even start?
One thing I’ve learned over time is that those things that scare you the most are the things you should do. There are chance meetings, emails and phone calls that will bring out full-on fear but also, some of the best opportunities in your life. The truth is, you’ll never be fully prepared.
I think that’s the hardest part. When an opportunity arises, you don’t often have the chance to say, “Give me a month and I’ll get back to you. I need to prepare for this.” Haha, I wish!
You just have to go for it. And, sometimes you’ll fail. I’ve had a million things go wrong in life, with projects, during travels, you name it. But as long as you’re learning, you’re growing. And…that is what matters most.
“I feel myself becoming the fearless person I have dreamt of being. Have I arrived? No. But I’m constantly evolving and challenging myself to be unafraid to make mistakes.” —Janelle Monae
Have a great weekend! xo
• I love, love, love this post from Alex about unsolicited criticism and how she handled it in an unexpected way that had a positive ending! If you’ve ever been burnt by someone’s hurtful words, this worth a read.
• This guy’s resume was so impressive that he landed his dream internship without an interview!
• Judith Hill was on the fateful flight with Prince the week before he died and tells her story of what it was like knowing him.
• I read this post about love and not taking it for granted and was nearly in tears by the end. It’s a great reality check — hug the ones you love a little tighter tonight and remind yourself of how lucky you are.
• Don’t ask for permission to do something. Show up with intent.
• An interesting study finds that you don’t need more free time. It’s more complicated than that.
• I’m laughing so hard at this collection of misleading thumbnails!
• Envy is a complicated emotion and I love how this article breaks it all down and makes us realize that it’s not all bad.
• I love learning more about how people spend their days because even if it seems routine from their perspective, we can learn something new. Breanna shares hers.
• Even if you’ve dreaded exercising your entire life, it’s never too late to start.