Hi everyone! I hope you’re having an awesome weekend. I’m later than usual posting this week’s link round-up because I’ve been on a very last minute trip to Miami. And…honestly? It’s totally worth being behind on everything right now for this experience. It’s my first time here and I’m LOVING it.
Two weekends ago, I got a text from Gala: “Want to go on a trip soon? A little getaway to somewhere warm?”
We quickly decided on Miami. But then, the usual list of apprehensions popped into my mind.
Quarterly taxes were due. There was a stack of client projects I needed get done. Last-minute airfares are usually inflated. It would take 7+ hours to get there. I’d miss my husband and pets. The list of excuses went on and on.
And then, I switched back to the positives — I thought back to this friendship post and before I could say no, I said YES.
A few days later, we booked our tickets over a series of excited texts and I put in a few workdays that stretched on until 2 am. The tiredness was real and 2 cups of coffee on Wednesday wasn’t curing it. But, the excitement of visiting somewhere new kicked in and I did a big final push before boarding an overnight flight.
I slept all the way to a layover in Chicago, grabbed a chai latte and hopped the final leg of my flight to Miami.
When I arrived, I still had no idea to expect — until our cab pulled up at The Raleigh. It was perfect. That art deco pool. The white bikes. The quaint 1940s room. The striped poolside umbrellas. All of it.
As soon as Gala arrived, we hit the ground running. Visited a rainbow bowling alley. Watched a couple drunkenly ice skate. Crashed a party. Visited a psychic tarot reader. Stocked up on oils and stones at a metaphysical shop. Drank out of a copper pineapple. Helped a guy convince his wife we were in a punk band called Ribbon Knife. Gorged ourselves on truffle pizza. Stayed up till sunrise chatting with Kat on the other side of the Atlantic. Watched the most amazing breakdancing routine. Got caught in torrential downpours. Set up still lifes by the pool. Drank lavender infused cocktails. Discovered a golden mammoth skeleton. Ate rosé popsicles at the Yacht Club. Everyone we’ve met has been incredibly friendly and it’s been nonstop fun.
This trip has reminded me once again of the importance of nurturing friendships. The importance of travel, exploration and discovery. The importance of remembering that sometimes…everything else can wait.
Time with a friend is just what I’ve been missing and needed so much right now. Tonight is our last night so I’m off to make the most of it.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I’ll have a Miami travel guide to share soon! xo
• Joy is a successful entrepreneur but openly admits the things she is super lazy about. So refreshing!
• I love the idea of getting focused and single-tasking. What about you?
• Putting yourself out there is always worth the risk. Alex’s personal story of how she made a close friend is a great reminder.
• Selling your services with confidence doesn’t have to be difficult.
• Feeling down? Here’s 5 ways to turn it around today.
• Taking styled photos can be improved with a few simple steps.
• If you’re designing an e-commerce site, here’s a ton of inspiration!
• Reduce the amount of junk mail you receive with a few simple steps.
• I didn’t know that Creative Mornings has a podcast!
• 10 packaging and branding trends every designer needs to know.