Happy Friday, friends!
I hope you had a good week. The first few days back at work and blogging after a long, relaxing holiday weekend always feel a little off-kilter for me and I’m still struggling to get back into a regular routine. I hope things are faring better for you!
I want to do things a little differently today and share a story to remind you to keep on going, even if you’re feeling tripped up over something seemingly small.
Last night, I got on a bike for the first time in years. When I was younger, I used to ride a bike every single day and it was as second nature as walking at the time.
For some reason, as I rolled down the slope of my driveway, I felt unsure of myself and it immediately came through in a lack of coordination and balance. I had barely started moving yet I felt like I was going to fall. Instead of keeping the momentum, I hit the brakes and completely froze.
Riding a bike takes trust, knowing that as you move forward, there’s a split second to throw your feet on the pedals and you’ll take off…yet something wasn’t clicking. I quickly gave up, turned around and went back inside, feeling really embarrassed.
Looking back, I’m now reminding myself of the obvious: next time, just keep on going.
We all have those moments of wanting to give up because something isn’t as easy as it should be. Why do some things seem so effortless but others feel so hard?
I don’t really know.
But, I do know that giving up isn’t an option.
Whenever you’re feeling stuck on writing your next blog post, tripping up over your next piece of art or frustrated because the vision in your head isn’t matching what’s flowing onto your paper, remember that on the other side, there’s something brilliant waiting that deserves to be shared.
“What winning is to me is not giving up, is no matter what’s thrown at me, I can take it. And I can keep going.” —Patrick Swayze
Photos: 1. My little guy, Rocky hanging out in our living room. Awww. 2. Chandeliers and mirrors at the freshly revamped Portland Anthropologie. 3. Stopping to enjoy the flowers on my morning walk. 4. Swooning over this packaging.
• Jane just shared her guide for a weekend in Portland and it’s so good!
• What should you do when you have too many ideas?
• I love Alex’s post about remembering to celebrate the tiny things.
• Have you seen these cool coloring posters? Doing these would be such a fun weekend project!
• 5 easy ways to make your brand more personal.
• Discover the 60 best iPhone apps for designers.
• Here’s how to actually create some work-life balance.
• Designer Mike Fischer weighs the pros and cons of freelancing.
• How often do you blog?
• The art of taking a selfie has now been immortalized….in a $35,000.00 bronze statue!
• You deserve a break .
• Thoughts on the creative world’s bullshit industrial complex.
• Breaking your nail biting habit is possible.
• 7 types of online workshops you can host.