Iâ€™ve been thinking a lot about inspiration lately and how what weâ€™re into seeps into our daily lives and work in subtle ways.
Iâ€™m constantly collecting visual inspiration for client projects and dreaming up ways we can pull those nuances together into a branding system or website that represents them.
The outcome is always a combination of textures, colors, fonts, imagery and a theme â€” a variety of subtleties forming something new and personalized.
We go about our daily lives taking in inspiration but do we ever take the time to pinpoint what weâ€™re specifically drawn to? With that thought in mind, Iâ€™m starting a new column here where Iâ€™ll create a seasonal mood board pulling in the visuals of what Iâ€™m into at that moment and I hope youâ€™ll be inspired to do the same.
I set up a private Pinterest board a few nights ago and started pinning without any pressure â€” no clients, no outside eyes. These images are some of my favorites from the mix.
Part of the fun in creating a seasonal board is cataloging your own personal evolution. I used to do these all the time around a theme when I started this blog in 2007. Did you also make outfit collages on Polyvore?! Maybe itâ€™s also time to pull back out the scissors, glue stick and sketchbook (like Emily does) and take this activity analog for a quarterly weekend project!
Things Iâ€™m loving in Spring 2016:
1. Natural textures including marbling and light woodgrain
2. Big, tropical leaves that remind me of Palm Springs
3. Rose gold, especially in accessories
4. The stark contrast of black and white accent walls (forever and always)
5. Mid-century modern accents, especially atomic clocks
6. Warm, soft hues that remind me of the desert landscape
7. Bold, crisp type thatâ€™s not afraid to make a statement
8. Streamlined, high quality accessories meant to last
9. Simple line drawings
10. Black and white photography
Making mood boards is incredibly therapeutic. I knew I liked all these things on their own but seeing them all together has so much more impact.
Your turn: Whatâ€™s inspiring you and making your heart beat a little faster right now?
Sources: 1. marbling, 2. mid-century modern clock, 3. CB2 vase, 4. self graphic, 5. stairway, 6. line drawing, 7. watch, 8. hands, 9. objekt poster, 10. Giuseppe Zanotti clutch, 11. wall hanging, 12. coexist.