Happy Friday! I just finished some last-minute packing for Vegas and there’s always that slightly nervous / really excited buzz that happens the day of a trip, with the built-up anticipation finally making way for new adventures.
A vacation right now is sorely needed — I’ve been pushing myself too hard, trying to do too much on too little sleep for the last few weeks and we all have our limits.
3 years back, I was working full-time, traveling a lot for the blogging workshop I co-founded, balancing a handful of freelance projects on the nights and weekends and still trying to get out of bed early each weekday to keep up this blog. It was all too much so I quit the full-time gig, began blogging less and started my own studio so I’d have a more flexible schedule.
Old habits die hard, though. I’m now finding myself falling back into that same trap — not setting boundaries and wanting to be everything to everyone. The reality is, none of us are superhuman. If you don’t take of yourself first and prioritize your health, you won’t be able to take care of anyone else.
I’m like so many of you — I read articles on how to “balance it all” but they always end by saying there is no such thing. It all comes down to prioritization. What’s most important to you? Family, friends, work, self-care or something else? When I say that out loud, I know work should come last — but it doesn’t always. Prioritizing is not my strong point because I want to do it all….until I realize for the 100th time I can’t.
All of this has been on my mind because later this year, I turn 35. 35! I started blogging 15 years ago. 10 years ago, I enrolled in a design program that ended up changing the entire course of my life. 9 years ago, I launched this space. Time flies.
With 35 creeping up this Fall, I’m feeling a shift. 35 means that you’re a real adult, or at least it does to me. There’s a lot of responsibility with that and I’m thinking more about what to say yes to and what to say no to (reminding myself again that it’s impossible to do it all).
And with that, I have to accept that today, my to-do list isn’t going to get any shorter but I have the ability to press the PAUSE button and hop on a plane to go meet 2 of my best friends in Vegas.
Everything else can wait a few days.
This next week, I’m putting a priority on friendship. What are you going to prioritize?
Have a great weekend, friends and thanks as always for reading.
Photos: 1. #1 mom cookie from my local coffee shop….that had 3 of them on the counter. There can’t be 3 #1 moms, right?! MY MOM IS #1. 2. It’s always the best day ever when my little guy, Rocky comes to visit me at work (even though he hates to have his photo taken)!
• Jasmine Star explains the difference between building a business brand vs. building a personal brand.
• I recently rediscovered this post about honoring your limits. Such a fantastic reminder so many of us need.
• Freelancers, here are 6 reasons you should never, ever work without a contract.
• 11 important things you weren’t taught at design school.
• Feeling down? Check out these 10 things that require no talent or luck…but make you awesome!
• I always love a roundup of free fonts — check out these 36 retro-inspired options.
• 5 ways to make your branding stand out.
• A great reminder that we need to stop living for the weekend and learn how to slow down to enjoy the moment.
• Being Boss shares communication tips for entrepreneurs.
• 6 design tips to radically transform your emails.
• Do you ever travel alone? I never do so it was interesting getting a glimpse of what it’s like.
• Digging the simplicity of this Untitled shirt. We all have a few untitled projects, don’t we?
• If you want to understand more about combining multiple typefaces in a project, read this. So good.