Happy Friday! It’s good to be back from Palm Springs (I missed Chubs dearly) but also a little bittersweet. The beautiful weather in Portland is making the post-vacation sting slightly less intense but I’m still having a hard time clicking back into full-on work mode.
After narrowing down our condo search in Palm Springs last week to 2 places, neither ended up working out but we’re undeterred. I’ve bought a house before (and boy, is the Portland housing market intensely competitive!) and it’s never as easy as it seems. I know that everything happens for a reason and the right place will pop up.
A day after following up with our realtor about our first choice, we found out that it had thousands in back HOA dues that weren’t originally disclosed. While we were disappointed, the next day another, much bigger condo with a large backyard (complete with a lemon tree!) popped up in the same exact complex. After crunching numbers, it’s slightly out of reach now but I think it (or something comparable) will be worth the few month wait. Instant gratification is great but I’m more of a long-term planner, thinking about what we’ll be most comfortable living in.
Our realtor is still on the hunt and we’re hoping to find a new place to call home before the weather gets cold again here in Portland. In the meantime, I’m staying focused, setting goals, outlining new product offerings and finding a way to make it all happen.
I’ve been through enough ups and downs in life to know that the not-so-great news usually has a silver lining. Every time something in my life didn’t work out, whether it was a job, relationship or a place to live, something better was waiting just around the corner.
Once you know what you want, it’s easier to get clear on how to get it.
Have a great weekend…and know that if things aren’t going your way right now, there’s a silver lining — just hold on and it will reveal itself soon enough.
• Being Boss is talking about time management. It really comes down to setting priorities and making the time to do the things we want to do.
• Automation doesn’t have to be a dirty word. Paul Jarvis explains how it can be hugely beneficial to your business.
• A bunch of Phil Collins’ albums were just remastered and he recreated the covers to match the present day!
• Waiting in line isn’t all that bad because who knows, you might just find true love.
• Are you a freelancer that hasn’t gotten paid for a project? Add it to the world’s longest invoice.
• I love this collection of photos of goth icons then and now!
• This is so cool! Palette Feed shares art and design content with interesting color palettes.
• I’m a big fan of Slack but it’s good to understand the downsides as well.
• Gala’s post about Tulum makes me want to visit. So beautiful!
• How Did She Get There features inspiring interviews with successful women.
• Is your life constantly full of drama?
• It’s fascinating to see how places change over time and Camilo Jose Vergara’s photo essays are a great look into that.