Last week, in the face of my grandpa’s health scare (thanks for all your sweet comments — he’s doing much better now!) I encouraged you to live your life fully on your terms with no regrets because you never know what tomorrow brings.
In that same vein, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how to produce content that matters, content that can directly inspire you guys to follow your dreams.
What I’ve realized along the way is that while we’re naturally drawn to what’s visually pleasing (photos, design, art) and producing this type of content might have a strong surface-level reaction with your audience, your personal stories are still everything. I shared a short and sweet story about how I got my start freelancing this week as a way to remind my audience that things don’t just magically happen — there’s always a story lurking beneath the surface. As the days rush by, it’s easy to forget about all those small moments that caused your life to become what it is today. Share them.
Over the last month, I’ve been at the office pulling longer days than usual because Joey, Rocky and I are heading down to Palm Springs to begin our house hunt in 2 weeks. There’s so much to get done before vacation but I’ve definitely squeezed in plenty of fun. Yesterday, Joey and I visited one of our favorite Portland stores, Lounge Lizard. It’s a mid-century modern paradise packed full of affordable furniture, housewares and lighting that will make your head spin. I was most amused by the array of odd knick-knacks though, like these twin poodles joined together by a chain. Walking out empty-handed was not an option — just wait till you see the statue I bought. Haha. Needs a little spray paint first. 😉
Have a great weekend, friends and by the way, Chubs says hello. xo
• I love the look of this marbled stationery and it’s so easy to make!
• Made me laugh: 15 examples of perfectionism at work.
• Instant logo search allows you to find company logos and download them instantly!
• Having a day job can be a good thing and here’s 3 reasons why.
• Here’s what fruits and vegetables looked like before we spent hundreds of years domesticating them!
• A guide to the psychology behind logo shapes.
• If you want to get results from your email, try one of these lead-ins.
• Stand up and have an opinion, even if it changes over time.
• Apparently, there are 7 types of boobs. Who knew?
• 10 must-read books for designers who blog.
• Nesha explains how to find your signature style.
• Yes, it’s possible to reposition all the states in the U.S. and still keep the general shape!
• Does this photo set make you nervous?