It’s Always Sunny In Palm Springs

Nubby Twiglet | It's Always Sunny In Palm Springs

To be totally honest, this post isn’t what I’d planned on sharing this week but I’m sitting here between a Palm Springs sandwich of sorts. We just sent the March issue of Rock n Roll Bride Magazine to print yesterday which has an 11 page feature of my vow renewal photographed in Palm Springs but I can’t share it quite yet. And then, I’ve been hard at work on a travel guide dedicated to the city but it’s not quite finished — and I don’t believe in half-assing anything, especially when it comes to my adopted home away from home.

Nubby Twiglet | It's Always Sunny In Palm Springs

Instead of feeling frustration, I started thinking….and remembered that we’d shot a fourth look the day of the vow renewal. There was an open 10 minute span of time after I’d changed out of my wedding dress. The sun was shining after an overcast morning and I felt a sense of relief since the photos we’d needed for the magazine were done. I changed into something less confining —a very mod, citrusy striped dress from ASOS and walked around the corner from our rented house.

The cacti were taller than I was and I draped my Kate Spade license plate bag around one of them. It was a Monday but time stood still. “This is where I want to be,” I thought to myself.

Nubby Twiglet | It's Always Sunny In Palm Springs

I’ve been very vocal about my love of Palm Springs since I first visited four years ago and set a goal by the end of this year to buy something, anything in town.

Joey and I have a meeting with the bank at the end of the month to see where we stand. When I left the comforts of a full-time job and started working for myself three years ago in an all-or-nothing move, I knew that I’d have to work harder than I ever had before and made a pact with myself so I didn’t burn out under the weight of it all. There had to be a bigger goal to strive towards, beyond just building a business. There had to be a way to have a tiny vacation spot, a place to go and “retire” to for two weeks at a time.

Nubby Twiglet | It's Always Sunny In Palm Springs

Nubby Twiglet | It's Always Sunny In Palm Springs

I didn’t want to wait until I was 60 or older to feel the relief and the relaxation that comes with being able to wind down after a career. Instead, I set a goal of 35. I never saw myself as the type that would ever need a permanent escape from my job, anyway. I just knew I would need breaks here and there to recharge.

Nubby Twiglet | It's Always Sunny In Palm Springs

Right now, we’re going back and forth between whether we should buy a small condo that doesn’t need much work or a total fixer-upper of a house that needs to be completely torn apart and remodeled. Joey has remodeled most of our Portland house himself and loves the art of transformation so we’re leaning towards the latter. I don’t know how things will turn out but I’ll let you know what happens.

This phase of my life is definitely taking on a “choose your own adventure” vibe. Each choice will entail a different path. It’s a little nerve-wracking but also really exciting. I’m ready.

Nubby Twiglet | It's Always Sunny In Palm Springs

Now, it’s your turn: Where’s your happy place? What’s that one place you’ve traveled to or want to visit….and wouldn’t mind living?

Photos: Made U Look.

14 Responses to It’s Always Sunny In Palm Springs

1. Rachel says:

I’m glad that it sounds like you wouldn’t leave Portland entirely! I’ve never been to Palm Springs, but from the looks of it, I’d miss the moss and ferns if i lived there year-round. A vacation home sounds just dandy, though, perfect for when you need a bit of sunshine.

One of my favorite places I’ve ever visited is Melbourne, Australia. If it wasn’t so far away from the rest of the world I could live there in a minute. Did you get to spend time there when you were running around the globe for the Blogcademy? It’s amazing–I can’t wait to visit again one day.

Nah, we would never leave Portland entirely — both sides of my family are here (born and raised!) and I love spending time with them. That’s partially why we need to find something small and affordable in Palm Springs so we can pull off both locations. Portland has the best summers, after all! And I spent a solid chunk of time in Melbourne both times I visited with Blogcademy. LOVED IT! I can see why you’re drawn to it. :)

2. jk_jk says:

sending you new habitat vibes to lead you to the right place! I’m thrilled to hear this after seeing all your Palm Springs love here on the blog over the years.

Yay, New Orleans! Never been there personally but everyone I know who had visited says it’s the most unique place in the US and LOVES it. And I drove through Asheville once 10+ years ago and remember it being so charming and welcoming. I can see why you like it!

3. Ashleah says:

I travelled to Copenhagen when i was younger, there were good vibes, great food and stylish architecture. I’d love to revisit, it may be a long commute from Melbourne though! Possibly a perpetual summer situation as i still love my home town too.

I know very little about Copenhagen but that’s cool that you’ve had the chance to visit! On the other hand, I’ve been to Melbourne twice and it was sooooo awesome. So much culture and amazing little shops down the alleys. LOVE.

4. Misaki Shimizu says:

Glad to hear, your plans to move take more shape and I look forward to what it will be 😀

To live where you feel you belong to is something so sweet and nice.
    (Because to yearn to be where you want to be can be so bitter sometimes XD)

I wish I could live in Tokyo one day, even if it’s just for a year. I went there 5 times for vacation already and no other city could catch me like this so far.

Btw, that dress is very chic, it has this retro vibe for me

If you’ve visited a place 5 times and still love it just as much, you definitely belong there! I hope you can make it happen. It would be great if you could find a job at a company where you live now that just happens to have offices there so you can eventually get transferred. 😉

• Misaki Shimizu says:

Thank you! Haha, we do have a market in japan, but it’s so tiny, that we don’t have an office yet. (But we will have one in Seoul, which isn’t that far hehe)
        Oh, I love Asian countries 😀
        You need to see them one day!

5. Kelsey says:

Can’t wait to see what you end up doing Shauna!

My happy place is Italy :) Anywhere there! I spent a couple months studying there in undergrad, and it was the most fulfilling time I’ve ever experienced. Everything seemed to move slower, it was more intentional, and I felt at peace. I do not love flying though, so maybe I can find my Italy vibes somewhere here in the States one day…

Kelsey, I went to Italy for the first time last summer and felt the same way. Still thinking about it on a near daily basis! I was only there a week so I didn’t have a chance to experience it in the same way as you did. That’s great that you go to spend such a big chunk of time there soaking in the culture!

6. Scarlett says:

I’m your Palm Springs soul sister. I went the first time in 1990 when still in high school and then various times over the years – 5 or 6 times now with my family. We love hiking trails, the history, all of the old glamour like Anneburg Estates and then of course the dry heat and sunshine.
    It’s definitely a west coast destination spot as we have many friends that head there for Spring Break with their families.
    I just cannot wait to have tacos at El Jefes and take some photos with my girls.

7. Sara says:

That’s incredibly exciting, Shauna!

I have to agree that Palm Springs is one of my happy places as well. Being born and raised in California, it was a regular vacation spot for my family growing up, and my parents still have a house there. But since moving to Austin last year I miss it like crazy! I even went so far as to tattoo a giant palm tree on my forearm to remind me of it :)