The Week In Pictures: 10.17.14

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

Welcome to The Week in Pictures! How was your week? I managed to do quite a bit of of exploring around Portland — it’s always nice to get back in touch with your hometown and be reminded of the things you love after a few weeks away. I’m loving the change in weather and the chance to bundle up.

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

Chubs spent a few weeks away at grandma’s house while Joey and I were traveling and when he returned, he was noticeably plumper. He’s obviously trying to live up to his name. 😉 I keep asking him if grandma was slipping him apple pie, mashed potatoes and gravy instead of the berries and almonds he usually gets fed at home.

It’s been interesting noticing how ingrained his instincts and mannerisms are since he’s never lived in the wild. He was a newborn when he fell down our chimney but still has typical squirrel characteristics which get very entertaining. He loves taking off with my pens and even funnier, when I have my hair pulled up, he climbs on top of my head and constantly buries nuts and crackers in it!

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

My mom is so awesome — not only do we get to work together at Branch but she also really gets my personal style. When she surprised me with this mug, I was over the moon. It’s so nice to be surrounded with meaningful basics.

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

Last night, I took my aunt to one of my regular haunts, Jackknife. It’s dimly lit with dark walls and marble countertops, the playlist is fantastic and their happy hour menu is pretty great. My drink of choice is the Melrose Brown (Dewar’s, Appleton, lime, ginger and sparkling wine).

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

This illustration on the side of Sizzle Pie cracks me up. Now, that’s a food pyramid I’ll gladly endorse!

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

I stopped by Nike to visit a friend for lunch and ended up spending the afternoon hanging out along….Lake Nike. Nike has a beautiful campus and the best cafeteria around — I’m always sad to leave.

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

I forgot to share this last week — I spotted this great floor somewhere in Chelsea last Monday. Major tile envy!

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

Have a wonderful weekend!

15 Responses to The Week In Pictures: 10.17.14

Aww, I love you! Thanks for your sweet comment, it totally made my day. I’m such a super fan of all that you do and you’ve been such an inspiration along this windy road of owning a business. I hope we get to hang out more next year….or, better yet, please find an excuse to visit Portland! It’s your mecca! 😉

To be completely honest, having a pet squirrel is full of challenges — he doesn’t take commands and feedback even close to as well as a dog (which is understandable!) But he’s so, so sweet in his own way and healthy and that’s what matters most.

1. Jeanne says:

I don’t think we ever saw you with hair pulled up once!
    It might be the 2nd time I comment, but it’s always nice to read your blog. I love your views of Portland, it so makes me want to visit.

Thanks for stopping by! When I’m home, I pull my hair up because otherwise my squirrel jumps on my head, slides down and gets tangled in it! Haha! And I hope you make it to Portland one day — it’s a fun place, I promise. 😉

2. Lindsey says:

I just have to say, you are the chicest thing ever! I love following your blog and work and I was sad I didn’t get a chance to meet you at DesignerVaca (super shy). Anyways, I wanted to ask. Do you have any suggestion on how to balance work and travel? I want to travel, but It feels like work consumes my life. Is that just how starting out in design is?

Hi! I wish you’d introduced yourself….but there’s always next year! 😉 Honestly, I don’t really have any suggestions — I believe in working hard and playing hard and the work / life balance is a huge myth. It’s more like a constant juggle! I get to travel all the time but what people don’t see is that I’m often taking client calls at weird hours and putting in work early in the morning and late at night between all the fun adventures. I still have trouble keeping up…but being in demand is a good thing! Just do your best and seek out clients that respect you and your lifestyle. Good luck!

3. MJ Valentine says:

Pictures of Chubs make me so happy, I’m so glad you decided to keep him! What a little sweetheart he is <3 Although, as you wrote in an earlier comment, I'm sure raising a squirrel has it's challenges! (Coming from an Aussie, who's only ever seen a squirrel once, in London, in 2007 – I still think they pretty much make the most awesome pets, next to unicorns)

He is the sweetest little guy but also very mischievous! If he stayed still longer (and didn’t run circles around me!) I’d post more photos. Haha. I’m glad we decided to keep him, though — he’s quite the character.