The Week In Pictures: 8.2.14 | Hello From Holland!

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

Hello from Holland! How was your week?

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

Let’s back up a bit…I spent the first half of my week in Berlin (and I’m already dying to go back) but that’s a topic for another post because I literally have a few hundred photos to dig through! I have a Berlin travel post coming very soon but in the meantime, I’ve been hanging out in Amsterdam for the last few days. And boy, it’s been quite the adventure!

The highlight of my trip to Amsterdam so far has been visiting Inntel Hotel (see above) which features the facade of 70 traditional Dutch-style houses. Completely insane!

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

Of course, no trip to Amsterdam is complete without visiting the canals that wind through the city. Many have baskets of flowers hanging nearby and are lined with parked bicycles.

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

After strolling along the canals, I stopped into the world famous flower markets. It was interesting to see such a variety of blooms, many that I don’t come across in America.

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

When I travel, I tend to skip the tourist filled main streets for the side alleys — there always tends to be great cafes, street art and shops lining them.

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

One thing that gets overshadowed by all the other Amsterdam “must-sees” are the amazing doors. This one in particular grabbed my attention — that’s one serious door knocker, don’t you think?!

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

I once heard a fact that 1/3 of all the inhabitants of Amsterdam own a bike. After spending a few days here, I believe it. There are often groups of a few hundred clustered in parking lots at the train station and it’s quite the sight — I’ll share more photos soon.

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

These are a few odds and ends from my European travels. I found a photo booth in Berlin (there are TONS of original ones from the 60s scattered around town), picked up a rad coaster at a cafe and nabbed this classic necklace at Zara in Amsterdam.

Nubby Twiglet | Hello From Holland

Have a great weekend, everyone. I’ll be teaching with The Blogcademy in Amsterdam over the next two days, flying to London on Monday and New York on Tuesday so the next few days are packed. Enjoy yourselves and I’ll see you back here on Monday! xo

14 Responses to The Week In Pictures: 8.2.14 | Hello From Holland!

Tara: The funny thing is, I didn’t even know that crazy hotel existed until I was perusing Pinterest while sitting in Holland. I was like, “I don’t care what else we do, we are going there! Tonight!” Haha.

1. Leanne says:

Amsterdam and Berlin and two cities I’d definitely want to visit one day. You should see the door knockers in Prato, Italy- they’re even more insane!
    When I was in Austria, my Austrian friends told me that in places like The Netherlands, everyone owns at least a bike so you aren’t afraid of getting them stolen, not like here in Aus where everyone locks them up.
    Enjoy the rest of your trip!

2. Missed out on that first building! I guess I have to go back to Amsterdam!:) Just arrived at my house in Norway, and excited to wake up tomorrow and go through my notes from theblogcademy and set up a blogging plan:) Thanks for an amazing weekend! Hugs, Line

3. Sara says:

Whoa Amsterdam looks incredible! That first building is the most insane thing I’ve ever seen. I can’t imagine what it must have been like planning it out…

Sara: It was so insane. I spent about 5 minutes circling it trying to take in the structure. There are also a bunch of other themed buildings around it. Definitely worth the 12 minute train ride outside of Amsterdam!

4. gracie says:

You convinced me to go back! I went in 2003 and didn’t love it. I thought it was a bit too seedy, lots of people approached us selling drugs and I just found it too aggressive sadly. Also every bar we went to played such crap music! My boyfriend loves Amsterdam & wanted to go for his 30th & I said I didn’t want to go again…. changed my mind. Maybe I was a little too young back then. :)

gracie: A lot can change in 10 years! I mean, there is still some of that going on but it didn’t seem all that extreme. I hope this time around is better for you!