Little Lessons #7: Stop Overthinking It

Nubby Twiglet | Little Lessons: Stop Overthinking It

It’s been exactly one week since we launched Blogcademy Home School and the response so far has been enormous. I’m so glad we just went for it and didn’t overthink it.

Do you have those people in your life that seem to move quickly and do things effortlessly without ever seeming fearful or breaking a sweat?

I do. My brother, Carey has always been that way. He never overthinks things. He goes, he does, he makes things happen…and figures out the rest later. Because of that, he has friends all over the world, juggles multiple careers and has so many hobbies that it drives me crazy (if another motorcycle part shows up in our house, I’ll scream).

I’ve always admired that quality in him and at times, I’m envious of it. I’ve never been that type of person. I’ve always been more of a planner, a little quieter, a little more cautious.

Nearly two years ago, I began to break out of that mold.

It all started when I nervously hit publish on a blog post I’d spent the weekend working on. I’d taken a short break to cross the border into Washington to catch a Motley Crue and Kiss show with my brother (we showed up without tickets — remember, he’s the spontaneous one!). Afterwards, I raced home to put the finishing touches on The Blogcademy site. Stepping out on a limb before everything was perfectly prepared and publishing that post (even though I was beyond nervous) was a domino effect that changed my life for the better.

When you have a good idea, act on it. Otherwise, it loses juice and in turn, you lose momentum.

Last week, I joined Kat and Gala as we did the same exact thing with Home School. It’s true that we did do a little more planning. But, considering that there were 10 separate videos, a brand new website to build and over two dozen worksheets to produce, we moved pretty fast!

Did we know if this new format was going to be a success?
You never really know.

Did we have any idea what demand would actually be?
Not a clue.

Did we spend countless hours doing endless market research to find out?
Not at all.

The bottom line? We felt good about it so we just went for it.

I want to encourage you to stop focusing on perfection. Perfection doesn’t exist. Own what you excel at and share your knowledge with the world. It’s doesn’t need to be polished to a high shine. Real and relatable is almost always better and it’s a whole lot more endearing.

Show us what you’ve got.
We’re listening and waiting.

Photo: Death to the Stock Photo.
Check out even more Little Lessons here.

16 Responses to Little Lessons #7: Stop Overthinking It

1. Kim says:

Amen! I think I’ve killed at least a dozen good ideas by spending too much time on them and then losing faith that they were good ideas. I’ve seen my husband do the same – including two ideas that he had that are now successful products by other people. I’m trying to take this approach with my latest idea. Gotta just dive in!

Kim: I totally know and relate to that feeling. The worst is when someone beats you to it! And for the record, I’m super excited about your new idea. :)

2. Melinda says:

Doing it right now!! I’m going to look at a Townhome that is selling cheaper than the area allows!!! I’m jumping on it! Hopefully I don’t fall! :-D

Melinda: Wow, go you! Let me know how it goes! I did the same when it came to my house. In the end, I just barely inched in…and five years later, everything feels a whole lot easier. You can do it!

3. Love this! Thanks for the inspiration Shauna. When I’m procrastinating (but thinking I’m striving for perfection) I always think of the bit in the song Haunted by Beyonce where she goes ‘Perfection is so hmmm’. Usually gives me the kick I need to get it done!

4. Lisa says:

My perfectionist nature tends to always overthink things, at least when it comes to work. Thank you for the reminder to stop analyzing everything and just run with what feels good!

5. Manda T. says:

Loving this! I am the “spontaneous” type, but I am the only one in my group of friends that is & sometimes that’s a little disheartening. I’m always getting the “You really should think about…” lecture before every single thing I do, haha! As discouraging as that is, I always end uo just going for whatever it is & dealing with the outcome as it comes. We only have this moment, so just do it (like Nike!). Thanks for sharing!

6. Maja says:

Such a good lesson. Simple and strong! Kind of applied it to a new idea for my blog last week. Had the idea on friday, dreamed about it a bit on the weekend and sent out emails on monday… We’ll see how it’ll go, but it sure felt GREAT to act on it, while it was still hot :)

7. Alex says:

Ah, if this isn’t a sign, I don’t know what is. Your Little Lesson #7 is the third post I’ve read about going for whatever it is I want to do. You’re right, the more I stewed on the idea or even just the desire to do something, I sink further into my comfort zone.

So I started a blog, not knowing what the point is or where it could lead but just because I wanted to. And you know what. it feels good and this sign is probably the universe telling me “Good job for getting off your butt and getting a hobby!”

8. Pingback: Thursday Treats: Watch The Blogcademy Live from Vancouver! · Rock n Roll Bride