The Week In Pictures: 1.24.14

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

This has been one of those weeks where I feel like the universe is trying to shake me up and finally force me to become a responsible adult and I’m just holding on as tightly as I can. Cue bid proposals, meetings with lawyers, opening up new accounts at the bank, lots of conversations over the phone (I’m usually more of an email person) and reaching out and asking for help when I realize I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. No matter how full my days get though, the bright spot is always an early morning serving of granola, plain greek yogurt and a generous helping of blackberries on top. Oh, and some good reading material!

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

If you’re ever in Portland and looking to make some new friends, the best place to go is the fire pit at the Doug Fir. Every time I end up there, I find myself in the middle of the most fascinating conversations. It’s the perfect refuge in the middle of the city.

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

My escape ever since I was a teenager has been flipping through fashion magazines. Lots of them. They give me a chance to absorb colors, textures and trends without the confines of a design project looming. These tears are all from the current issues of Bazaar and Marie Claire.

Nubby Twiglet | The Week In Pictures

This photo isn’t the greatest but considering where we started with our very disgusting old bathroom, just the sight of floor-to-ceiling subway tile feels completely unreal! Joey’s been working like a maniac to get it all done and should be applying black grout by the end of the weekend. I’m lucky I married a jack of all trades. 😉

Have a great weekend, everyone. I’m trying to brush off the “I don’t know what I’m doing! HELP!” feelings when it comes to a few things on my plate and just accepting that the only way to learn is to jump in feet first.

P.S. Thanks for your sweet, thoughtful comments on the self-initiated project post. Totally made my day. Lots of love to you all!

8 Responses to The Week In Pictures: 1.24.14

1. alicia says:

Remember, we are all making it up and faking it as we go along :)

I’m not a phone person AT ALL and kinda…struggle when I have to communicate with clients over the phone instead of e-mail. Maybe you should write a post about tips on calming your nerves before hoping on a client phone or conference call!

alicia: Totally true. I try to remember that at times like these! And the phone thing really comes down to practice. I hate it but the more I do it, the more it seems normal. Which it is. It’s such a generational thing of not wanting to pick up the phone and make a call!

2. Amanda says:

That bathroom is coming along great! I do the same thing with fashion magazines and I always have to fend of the “I should try that” feeling. Especially when I’m looking at a magazine from, say 2008.

3. Stine says:

Responsible-adult-show-yourself has totally been the topic of my week, too. I did a ton of stuff I’d been scared to do for a while. Turns out: it did’t hurt (the “I’ll do that tomorrow” attitude was much more painful) and gave me a good feeling of having accomplished something.

I reread your post about self initiated projects and BAM! I suddenly understood how to apply your concept to my own business. Sometimes I just need a bit more time and a second thought. :-) Thank you for the great post!

Stine: Agreed. It’s better to get that adult stuff knocked off your list sooner, otherwise it just builds up into a huge fear-faced scary monster. And I am s glad the post helped you!

4. Ember Swift says:

When I was going through my life’s worst breakup, I rode my bike to the Jupiter Hotel and stayed a couple nights. Writing sad love poems on the chalkboard doors and having cocktails & conversations with strangers around that firepit saved my soul! Love love love the Doug Fir. They have some pretty amazing shows as well :)

Ember Swift: That makes me so happy to hear! The crowd is always so eclectic, the staff is super friendly, the food is great and the conversations….are priceless.