Link Love: 1.16.14

Nubby Twiglet | Link Love

Nubby Twiglet | Patrick Demarchelier

• This thought-provoking article questions the modern day phenomenon of doing what you love. “DWYL is, in fact, the most perfect ideological tool of capitalism. It shunts aside the labor of others and disguises our own labor to ourselves. It hides the fact that if we acknowledged all of our work as work, we could set appropriate limits for it.”

• The latest artisanal food craze hitting San Francisco is toast. Yes, toast. Often at $3.00 per slice.

• Have you ever walked out of a job?

• Looking for stylish wallpaper? Check out this roundup for the best sources.

The most photographed places on Earth!

• 10 tax deductions for small business owners.

• A must-read: Life As A Blogger.

Nostockphoto allows you to search for images without all the annoying stock photo results!

• As a female, do you abide by the so-called girl code?

• The perfect gift for the world traveler in your life: airport tag pillows!

• Ruby Press is looking for a PR intern.

• For the last 40 years, Bob Mazzer has been photographing passengers of the London Underground.

• Robert Murphy shares what he learned from going on a six month spending freeze!

This pretty much sums up every cocktail bar menu ever.

Photo: Patrick Demarchelier.
Check out even more Link Love columns here.

14 Responses to Link Love: 1.16.14

1. Love it. I just listened to an interview yesterday about a woman who dropped out of law school, went in to finance, made an amazing career, and turned down a six figure bonus to take a pay cut and do what she loved. She ended up tripling that in a few years. So inspiring! It can happen, huh?

2. Hannah says:

Thanks for sharing that first article–really interesting stuff. As a creative person (ugh, I hate starting statements with that!) I constantly feel guilt about pursuing “what I love.” Why do I deserve to do work that I love when that work is ultimately unnecessary to the greater functioning of our world? When I get caught up in professional insecurity or depression about my career, it’s easy to lose perspective and forget that many, many people don’t have the luxury of even thinking about being compensated for what they love. I think it’s important to remain self aware and to remember to engage with the world outside of your own little bubble.

I don’t know if you’ve seen/heard of the documentary series “The Century of Self,” but I highly recommend it. It’s sort of an alternate history of the 20th century that tracks the rise of capitalism and how it’s shaped our world today. A lot of it engages with the idea of personal fulfillment, and how capitalist interests can mold personal fulfillment into a tool to control the masses. Self-actualization can become a myopic refuge from the big issues we face in this world, tricking us into thinking that we can better the world solely by bettering ourselves. The series can verge on sounding a bit conspiracy-theory-esque, but it brings up a lot of interesting, complicated issues and is 100% worth watching.

Hannah: The article reminded me once again that it is a complete luxury to spend my days not only in a creative industry but doing what I love and it sounds like you’ve had that same realization. While a sense of guilt isn’t a great feeling, it shows that you have genuine humility towards those that don’t have that same luxury and to me, that it really refreshing. A lot of creatives lose that self-awareness and that’s a dangerous place to go because in the grand scheme of things, nobody is better than anyone else, especially when it comes to careers. I’m writing down that documentary, it sounds like the perfect thing to watch over the weekend.

3. Melinda says:

I have walked away from a job during lunch, very similar to what this guy did in the article. The Assistant Manager that night was being really mean, telling me I was moving slow, that I didn’t do as good of job as I let on, that I shouldn’t even be here, etc. When a cutomer called and asked about putting a comforter on layaway (we weren’t allowed to) she got mad and CAME TO THE STORE to complain in person, and he came to me and said “You put me in a position I do not like to be in, whatever the customer wants, we’ll be able to accomadate them. Even if that means doing the opposite of what the store manager wants. We accomadate the customer.” While I agree to an extent, there was a girl who was fired the previous day for putting housewares in layaway and I wasn’t going to get in trouble.

While at Chipotle I thought about if it was worth it to worry about this job that wasn’t doing anything for my future except pay my one bill a month! and that’s when I called the STORE MANAGER AT HOME, explained the situation to HIM DIRECTLY and went home. The Assistant manager was livid. Turned out that lady was his mother and he had been doing those things for his family without the manager knowing. I was glad I left, but I have not done it since, I get too attached to my co-workers to ever leave them high and dry like that again.

Melinda

4. Nadine says:

The ‘do what you love’ article is BRILLIANT. I’ve had some nagging thoughts along those lines for a while now, and the writer expresses the whole situation with such impressive clarity. Thanks for sharing!

Nadine: I’ve been having thoughts along those lines too but couldn’t quite tie them up as nicely as the author — glad to hear I’m not alone in feeling those sentiments!

Claudia Miranda: I feel like it’s a subject that’s been on a lot of our minds lately but the author manages to put forth those thoughts so eloquently. I’m still thinking about it…

• Nadine says:

Hi Shauna, just wanted to let you know I am STILL thinking about this! It has changed my attitude to various things going on in my life, so thank you very much for drawing my attention to it. :)