Spending close to a month split between Australia and New Zealand, I came across some really special finds and discovered a whole bunch of new (to me) brands that are way too good to keep to myself!
• Ruby: I found this striped knit sweatshirt (now sadly sold out) at Ruby that was love at first sight — I’m always skimping on wardrobe basics but those are what I end up reaching for the most often so I’m trying to step up my game! Though Ruby’s pricing can seem high at first compared to similar U.S. brands, I was blown away by the quality and attention to detail. Manufactured in New Zealand, this sweatshirt has a gold zipper up the back and a perfectly slim (but not tight) cut. The brand does streetwear right, managing to keep it modern yet feminine.
• Mi Goals: To be fair, I didn’t actually buy this awesome set of notebooks (Mi Goals was a Blogcademy sponsor) but if I’d come across it in a store, I would have! Mi Goals stationery has goal-oriented sections with prompts to help you plan out your life and I especially love the no-nonsense design of the Get Shit Done booklet.
• MT Tape: I have an embarrassingly large stash of washi tape in my office but that didn’t stop me from going crazy at the pop-up shop inside Melbourne Central. Hundreds of varieties of the tape alongside crafting tables lured me in — I’ve always bought my rolls of MT Tape online so experiencing the brand in person was really exciting.
• Leonard Street: I nearly walked right past this Melbourne shop, quickly dismissing it as not being my style. But I am so glad Kat and Gala convinced me to stop in! Full of stylish and contemporary basics, I unexpectedly spotted my ideal dress, something I’d been dreaming of for years. Resembling a twill apron, the Braces Mini Dress in black fulfills my uniform fetish and is a great utilitarian, everyday basic. I throw it on over a black tee and skinny jeans and I’m ready to go!
• Glassons: I have to stop myself from reaching for these pants every single day. They’re my absolute favorites and best of all, they cost less than $30.00! I am obsessed with the perfectly narrow cut and ankle zips — they remind me of J. Crew but without the sticker shock. Glassons is an affordably priced chain store across New Zealand and I was drawn in by the deep selection of on-trend basics. Though these pants seem to be sold out, they have a lot of other great options! Now, if only they’d ship to the U.S.
• Typo: Being obsessed with office supplies, it didn’t take me long to discover Typo. Full of the coolest stationery and decor around, this place is a treasure trove if you’re in the mood to dress up your desk. I grabbed a bundle of the Pencil Pens which come in a rainbow of colors.
• Grown Alchemist: Never in my life have I spent $20.00 on hand lotion. But that all changed when I came across this vanilla and orange peel scented concoction. Tired of having dry skin from too much traveling, I gave it a go. All I have to say is that it’s worth every penny. I’ve since done some more research on the line and between the stylishly minimal packaging, bio active organic ingredients and the lack of harsh chemicals, animal products and parabens, I am a super fan. It’s now on my desk at all times.
I loved wandering the streets of Australia and New Zealand and not spotting the same old American chain stores! Are there any other brands I missed that you’d recommend checking out?