Crystal Renn for Vogue Mexico by David Roemer, April 2011.
• Loving this photo essay: The mundane home lives of Superheroes!
• Midcentury modern hits retirement age. Count me in…I’m sure that one day I’ll need a Barcelona wheelchair.
• Have you seen the amazingly detailed embroidered portraits by Daniel Kornrumpf?
• I love this particular description of the Jil Sander Spring 2012 men’s show: “This season’s collection looked like a yearbook page from Trent Reznor’s School For Young Men. Call it the softer, cuddlier side of goth.”
• Even more fashion bloggers speak up about body image.
• The new graduation gift from mom and dad: an apartment in Manhattan?!!
• I’m in love with Christian Louboutin’s Fall 2011 Lookbook. Featuring renaissance-inspired depictions of women glamorously posing for ‘portraits’ with his shoes, this takes lookbooks to a whole new level.
• Gorgeous art composed of the unexpected combination of bones and flowers.
• Lauren Manning has documented the food she consumed for a two year period with a variety of detailed infographics.
• How tablets are transforming web design.
• I love the bright, clashing shoe and tights combos that one of my readers sent me from New York Magazine.
• Fashionista names the 10 best fashion illustration blogs.
• Working at the Playboy Club a few decades back wasn’t always as glamorous as it seemed. One woman began her career there as a teen in the 70s and shares her experiences.
• I like how Gala is making costume films to share her daily outfits!! Oh, and the handwritten descriptions. Clever girl!
• Here’s what went down during the first day of John Galliano’s trial.
They say that you should never judge a book by its cover. On the other hand, fashion magazines pride themselves on having an astute sense of style and a fine-tuned eye for daring patterns and color combinations. In fashion magazines, image is everything and nothing sums up the complete package better than the cover.
Fashion magazines that I’m currently subscribed to include Elle, Marie Claire, Vogue, Bazaar, W and Allure. I also buy V regularly. What should I pick up next?
How about a super-sized dose of bright green to kick-start the first official day of Summer? View more pages from the Decor Notebook set on Flickr.
I’ve mentioned this before but I’ll say it again: I love uniforms. Maybe it’s because I always went to public school and had the chance to wear the craziest outfits any time I wanted (and trust me, to my parent’s embarrassment, I took full advantage of that freedom). When I think back, I never had anything to rebel against. On the other hand, all my friends who had to wear uniforms are now completely clothes-crazy and their wardrobes make my closet look barren in comparison.
Over the years, I’ve amassed quite a collection of uniform-inspired looks. At the top of my list has always been variations of red and white stripes. Motel recently sent me the Karina Dress and I added my own belt, red bow and petticoat underneath to complete the look. Maybe If I’d worked at a candy shop a few decades back, this could have been my summer uniform. Hey, a girl can dream…
Karina Dress, courtesy of Motel
Bow headband, Forever 21
Belt, H&M (from another dress)
Cardigan, J Crew
Tights, courtesy of Motel
Wedges, Beau Coops (Can’t stop wearing these — my perfect summer wedge!)
P.S. You can save 15% off your Motel order by using the promo code NUBBY. Have an awesome week!
I finally settled on a gray wool rug for my office though I’m not 100% sure I like it yet.
Rocky has total bed head when he wakes up in the morning. It reminds us of all-white version of Robert Smith’s hairdo. He’s my most favorite little creature in the entire universe.
Luke Copping just sent me some copies of the promo we worked on last month and I pinned it above our previous collaboration on my inspiration board. We’re already hard at work on the next one.
I’m going to cheat a bit and post this photo from my LA stay last week. I didn’t have a chance to share a close-up of this collage in the lobby of the Palihouse Holloway and it’s much too good to not show in detail.
And finally, a few quick snaps also taken at the Palihouse. I had the best time in LA and I miss all of my girls already. I’m normally really bad about just chilling out (and end up working through at least half of my vacations) but this time, I soaked up the time away and really recharged.
Do you have any big plans for the weekend? I’m alternating between working on a new (exciting) project and building an updated portfolio (I want to make a book, custom covers and all). And, ordering stickers. I can’t believe it’s June already…eep.