During the last half of 2009, I joined up with the Nemo HQ crew to work on a series of Salomon Snow catalogs, the largest undertaking being this behemoth with 100+ pages and numerous multi-page fold-outs. When I started working on this project (which spanned over a month), the art direction was pretty much in place and the guys were chipping away on the men’s section – my job was to lighten things up for the women’s layouts. My overall objective was to use a lighter version of the type and to add in more white space.
For a snowboarding catalog, you’ll notice that there’s a strong editorial feel throughout and I think that’s what makes this particular project stand apart. The layouts with cropped text and oversized images keep the catalog compelling from cover to cover. And, there are tons of fold-out charts and spreads throughout so there’s constant engagement.
There’s far too much good stuff in here to showcase everything and I had a hard enough time just choosing a handful of pages but here’s a basic overview with some of my favorite spreads and a large chunk of the women’s section.
Thanks to Nemo HQ for putting out another awesome project – I was beyond excited to get to work on this one. One of my favorites of all-time.
Half of my life is spent doing research.
One of the projects I’ve been working on is a look book and this is some of the inspiration I’ve pulled: an Urban Outfitters catalog page, a Warhol postcard and an Urban Outfitters curtain hang tag. The planner is from the Moleskine Colour A Month Notebooks set.
Yes, those damn tights again.
I cannot stop wearing them! I wore the black version on Wednesday and the nude version yesterday. At the very least, there are way worse vices to have.
I Am a Key USB: Genius.
I was in dire need of a new USB drive and just discovered these clever little LaCie iamaKey devices. 8 GB never looked so stylish! And, it has a hole at the top so technically it can double as a necklace! Modern + minimal = love.
Viva La Rock Posters!
Last night was the Viva La Rock opening and N.E. Alberta was plastered with the posters I’d designed the night before. We enjoyed the company of friends and the general madness of Last Thursday.
I sort of slept in and now I’m off to an agency for the day. Enjoy your weekend!
• Fashionista ranks the world’s top fashion schools.
• Smashing Magazine has compiled a list of bizarre websites that are still supremely stylish.
• My mean boss is ill – and I’m not sorry!
• Have you seen the So You Need A Typeface poster?
• Gala Darling showcases some beautiful hotels and links to travel deals while reminding us that You Don’t Have to Get Away to Get Away.
• Hyperallergic is a New York-based blog, podcast and journal and they’re looking for summer interns.
• Still to this day, I am in love with Alexander Wang’s New York offices. Somehow regal yet minimal, polished yet undone.
• 37 examples of unusual business card design.
• I had so much fun reading this! We Will Not Be Deleted: Great Moments in Fashion Blogging History.
• Facebook promises to add new privacy controls.
• How did I not know of the existence of the Pantone Hotel?!!! Amazing.
Okay, time for a little shameless self promotion. I just put this poster together for Joey’s art show. Please join us this Thursday night at Branch Whiskey Bar for drinks and rock portraits!
I am sure that everyone is sick of seeing me around town (and on the web) in the American Apparel Sheer Luxe Shapes Pantyhose in Nude / Black Punctuation so I just picked up the black version. Slightly dressier and a little less reminiscent of leg tattoos, I’ve already worn them a ton. Sheer black tights in general remind me of a trashy 80s secretary but the punctuation toughens them up a bit.
The best comment I’ve received while wearing these tights so far was from a stoner dude who walked up to me and said, “You must REALLY like texting!”
All of The Typofiles can be viewed here.